Monday, August 6, 2007

copyright overview

The four part(Part one, two, three, four) copy right infringement video was good but a little too Michael Morre stylish or preachy documentary-ish then I like , but it made a few points that stand out. Obviously copyright infringement is important and we have to be careful that our kids know these rules as well. The fact that we can build on existing work as long as it is properly cited makes sense.
The controlled creativity aspect only relates to people that sign something away other wise we as a whole have the ability to create freely anything we want. The terrorist war over copyrights I agree is completely about money and nothing else, but I always attend that if the product is good people will still pay to have it. When I played in a band we always had our music on our website in MP3 format, which doesn't sound as good and defined as wave files or CD quality but it was free, so if you liked it then you could go out and buy it. If it's a question of right or wrong I don't know the answer, but I do know that open source software should rule. There is no reason we should have to pay the crazy amounts of money for software while hardware keeps getting cheaper and cheaper. And finally is it in our hands to instill change in this matter, well I leave with a quote I got from another band I worked with momentarily, "Talk minus action equals a good dinner party. Which kind of says it all, if you believe something is wrong stand and yell against it because it will just keep going on and on with no one to stop it otherwise. I think I'm getting a little too preachy now so I better go to bed. Brian Nenson 3rd yr Ed student.

1 comment:

Stepa said...

Interesting point of view.
Here is another way. I like Adobe’s policies: you can try the software for a month and if you like it you can buy it.So virtually you can use it forever by using different computers (I was using my friend’s computers)
I believe in free soft for amateurs and paid one for professionals. It only makes sense, you pay only if you make money on it.